Industry-Proven Reliability and Security
SCO OpenServer Release 6 Datasheet
SCO® OpenServer™ Release 6.0 is an impressive new operating system for low-cost, commodity hardware that features large file support and support for a broad array of modern applications. With a decade of rock-solid stability and dependability, SCO OpenServer has stood the test of time for small and large businesses needing an affordable all-in-one server.
SCO OpenServer 6 brings to users a powerful, new, and modern operating system with large file support and kernel-level threading for greater application support. With speed and performance improvements due to the integration of the SVR5 kernel, SCO OpenServer 6 establishes a new standard for rock-solid stability and dependability. With increased memory and file size support, security enhancements, backward compatibility, support for Apache, Java® and Mozilla, SCO OpenServer 6 is pure power and reliability.
SCO OpenServer 6 includes application support for powerful SCO UnixWare® applications, and provides the easy-to-use KDE® graphical interface.
SCO OpenServer has stood the test of time for small to large businesses needing an affordable all-in-one server. It’s the kind of advantage you expect from SCO, the supplier of the world's most popular UNIX® operating system for low-cost hardware.
OPENSERVER 6 NEW AND IMPROVED
With the release of SCO OpenServer 6, product reliability and stability continue. The greatest improvements include multi-threaded application support, large file support (up to 1 terabyte), and a modern look and feel. With the inclusion of the SVR5 technology, the new version has significant speed improvements.
Key improvements include:
- Larger file support up to 1 TB
- Multiprocessor support increased from 4 to 32 processors
- Increased memory support up to 64 GB
- Extending the power of UnixWare into OpenServer 6
- Single certification for OpenServer and UnixWare
- Dramatic performance improvement
Reliability continues to be the most important SCO OpenServer 6 differentiator. OpenServer is known for its phenomenal stability and quality. IDC survey of 1000 IT professionals found UNIX to be superior to Linux in multiprocessing, integration, security, and skills availability. Overall UNIX was more likely to meet expectations for features, overall performance and manageability. Additional competitive advantages include low TCO, established reseller relationships.
SCO offers a wide range of global services to meet partners' and end-users' business requirements. Customized and a-la-carte options are available for SCO customers, allowing optimal returns on their investment
SCO OPENSERVER 6 BUILT ON FOUR KEY CORNERSTONES
SCO OPENSERVER 6: BUILT FOR PRODUCTIVITY
Improve Employee Productivity Throughout Your Business
SCO OpenServer Release 6 contains many new features that help make your business and employees more productive. New and enhanced features of system management, performance, and ease of use in SCO OpenServer Release 6 enable greater productivity for both administrators and users.
Key Productivity Features
- Multi-Threaded Kernel. By incorporating SVR5 technology into OpenServer Release 6, this kernel now has support for more modern applications.
- Large File Support. OpenServer Release 6 includes large file support (up to 1 Terabyte) that enables it to drive more modern and powerful applications.
- Multi Processor Support. OpenServer 6 has increased multiprocessor support from 4 to 32 processors, taking advantage of the power of more modern and up-to-date hardware. SVR5 is a hardened kernel that runs on low cost, industry standard servers and is capable of near-linear scaling as resources are added to the system
- Increased Memory Support. Memory support increases from 4 GB to 64 GB in OpenServer 6. This enables the product to run and support more powerful applications and hardware.
- Speed and Performance. The SVR5 kernel enhancements in OpenServer 6 have produced significant improvements in speed and performance. Some OpenServer applications are reporting a 400% speed improvement with version 6.
- Improved support for Async I/0. AIO enables even a single application thread to overlap disk read/write operations with other processing thereby allowing useful work to be done while IO is occurring in the background.
- Dynamic Loadable Drivers. Drivers can be loaded or unloaded on a running system with no reboot required. This allows hotplug of new peripherals such as a tape drive.
- Includes KDE. With the addition of KDE, OpenServer 6 now has a modern, full-featured desktop, enabling a greater ease of use.
- Hot-Plug Memory Support. With OpenServer 6 you can add additional memory into the system without a system reboot.
- Fibre Channel-based SAN Support. OpenServer 6 comes with Fibrechannel-based SAN support for HP MSA 1000 systems. SCO supports QLogic Fibre Channel 22xx/23xx controllers.
- VXFS Filesystem . High performance VXFS filesystem is journaled, ensuring data integrity in case of a hardware crash..
- Hardware RAID Support. SCO OpenServer 6 will support the following RAID systems: Adaptec hardware RAID controllers, HP/Compaq RAID controllers, Intel Integrated RAID, LSI MegaRAID, and LSI Fusion-MPT RAID.
- USB Printer Support. SCO OpenServer 6 supports USB printers.
- DVD Backup Support. With OpenServer 6, businesses can utilize DVD backup systems, enabling faster and more cost effective backup of valuable data.
- Supports UnixWare® 7.1.4 Applications. With the SVR5 kernel technology embedded in OpenServer 6, UnixWare applications are fully supported.
- Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) for HP Proliant Products. SAS is the next generation of host controllers, and will replace slower parallel technologies, as well as control for the first time both Serial ATA and Serial Attached SCSI hard drives.
- Native SATA. OSR6 features full support for Intel's open Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification which includes features such as Native Command Queuing and Hot-Plug support.
- SCO's Assessment and Migration Services. Specifically designed for OpenServer 6, these services enable customers to make the most efficient use of their IT staff. These options will also be found beneficial in implementing SCO solutions that optimize productivity by leveraging the new and greatly improved features of the operating system.
SCO OPENSERVER 6: BUILT FOR SECURITY
Run Your Business on the Most Secure Operating System for UNIX-on-Intel
Businesses are built on reliability and stability. Many businesses rely on SCO’s UNIX platform to provide the high-level of security needed in a demanding, fast transaction business. Businesses need systems that are always up and always responsive, and they demand a level of security able to meet customer demands. SCO OpenServer Release 6 includes new features and improvements that make it the most dependable UNIX-on-Intel platform available on the market.
Key Security Features
- IPsec. Encrypts all TCP/IP packets for security, and implements Virtual Private Network (VPN) functionality.
- OpenSSH and OpenSSL. These network protocols allow for logging into and executing commands on a remote computer. They provide secure encrypted communications between two untrusted hosts over an insecure network.
- Ipfilter for Firewall and NAT Functionality. Ipfilter technology allows OpenServer 6 to be configured as a firewall.
- Kernel Privileges. The SVR5 kernel provides a fine-grain privilege mechanism. Using fine-grain privileges, the system can grant a subset of root powers to binaries, allowing them to achieve specific objectives without exposing the system to potential abuse/exploits.
- Auditing of Events. Auditing enables the system administrator to record system events in a log and play back the audit trail to determine who did what and when.
- Supports NFS v3 with TCP. Network File System (NFS) is an industry standard protocol for sharing files across networks. NFS v3 adds support for large files and NFS over the TCP protocol.
- Encrypted File System and Archives. This file system encrypts data stored on the disk. The data can then be de-crypted using private keys.
- Emergency Recovery CD-R/RW Media Support. Emergency recovery enables the system administrator to create bootable CD-R/RW media for disaster recovery.
SCO OPENSERVER 6: BUILT FOR AGILITY
Businesses today need instant information on new, mobile devices and clients. Stronger business collaboration tools enable business managers to make more intelligent decisions at a faster pace. With the increasing mobile nature of business, strong server support is necessary to serve up instant information to a mobile workforce.
OpenServer 6 connects clients like PDAs, smart-phones and other handhelds to the corporate backbone. It also provides support for provisioning and deploying applications on mobile devices. OpenServer 6 includes security management tools for wireless device connectivity and allows system administrators to monitor the health of their systems and mission critical applications while on the move.
Key Agility Features
- Centrino Wireless Technology. Centrino is an Intel wireless technology standard supported by SCO. With this new technology included in OpenServer 6, laptops now have fully integrated wireless LAN capability without the need of a wireless plug-in card for excellent mobile performance.
- PRISM Technology. A wireless hardware chipset standard supported by SCO. OpenServer 6 supports a myriad of wireless devices that are PRISM based enabling more wireless networking capabilities.
- Apache version 1.3. OpenServer 6 includes the popular open source Apache Web server.
- Mozilla 1.7 and Java Plug-ins. Release 6 includes the 1.7 release of the popular Mozilla internet browser.
- KDE Desktop. For those customers interested in a new, graphical interface with OpenServer 6, KDE has been included.
- Tomcat. Tomcat enables OpenServer 6 to run and display Java applets. Tomcat is an open source implementation of JavaServer Pages and Java Servlets. JSP and Java Servlets are the Web presentation layer in Java 2..
- SCO File and Print Server with Samba 3.013. Samba provides file and print interoperability services between UNIX and Windows clients.
- MySQL Database. UNIX customers are ever increasingly looking for database alternatives. MySQL, a good, and cost-effective alternative to other popular databases is included with OpenServer 6.
- Postgresql Database. Postgresql is also included for customers looking for alternative database solutions with SCO UNIX.
- Supports Virtualization Languages - PHP and Perl. OpenServer 6 includes popular development tools perl and PHP for rapid application development..
SCO OPENSERVER 6: BUILT TO PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT
SCO recognizes the significant investment that companies make in their hardware and software IT solutions. With a large number of small businesses running SCO UNIX, a long term ROI is imperative. With SCO OpenServer 6 businesses have significant investment protection, including the ability to expand the computing environment, scalability (both up and out), support for large file systems to handle growth of business data, as well as compatibility all the way back to SCO Xenix System V.
SCO OpenServer 6 provides the following benefits for investment protection:
- Single Certification for Applications and Drivers. With OpenServer 6 an ISV can develop to either UnixWare 7.1.4 or OpenServer 6 and certify on both. With the same kernel, now applications and drivers can run seamlessly on both platforms.
- Wide Hardware Support. OpenServer 6 includes support for USB, AC97, SATA, SAS, IDE RAID, FC SAN, PCIX and others.
- Java 1.4.2. SCO OpenServer 6 supports the Java 2 platform, Standard Edition for running Java code.
- Supports Thousands of Applications. SCO OpenServer 6 will run thousands of applications written for SCO UNIX.
- Backward Compatibility, Including Xenix Application Support. Small businesses have invested considerable money in hardware. With OpenServer 6, SCO supports applications all the way back to Xenix 286 applications!
The OpenServer family of products and support services are best positioned to provide recommendations and solutions to customers' most complex requirements, reducing total cost of ownership, and helping businesses be more productive and efficient.
Optional support bundles available for product editions, upgrades, and trade-ins.
SCO OpenServer Release 6 is a significant improvement in UNIX technology. Purchase SCO OpenServer 6 today. Discover the productivity, security, agility and return on your investment for yourself.
||A single Intel® Celeron®, Pentium®, Pentium II, Pentium II Xeon, Pentium III, Pentium III Xeon, Pentium 4, or Intel Xeon microprocessor, or a microprocessor that is 100% compatible (e.g., AMD Athlon, Athlon 64, Duron, Sempron, or Opteron processor)
||64MB of Random Access Memory (RAM) is required. For running graphically-intensive applications like Java or KDE, a minimum of 128 MB of RAM is required
||To install all packages included in the media kit, 4GB of disk space is required. Small footprint installations can run on partitions as small as 1GB.
||1TB (per disk)
||SCSI, SATA, or SAS*
||Requires a CD-ROM and a BIOS that supports booting from the CD-ROM, keyboard, and monitor
||Mouse, NIC, and 1.44MB floppy drive
*SAS available for HP Proliant products.
OPENSERVER 6 LICENSING
- Starter Edition and Enterprise Edition Licenses
- Different Upgrade Licenses for OpenServer 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
- Upgrades are Edition sensitive
- OpenServer 5.0.7 License + SCO Update license equivalent of Upgrade licenses on install of OpenServer 6
- Trade-ins are available for OpenServer 5.0.0 through 5.0.5.
- Additional user licenses for Enterprise Edition sized at 10, 25,100, and 500 users
- Additional users for Starter Edition in increments of 5-users.
- New set of maximum memory licenses for 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 GB
- Additional processor licenses
- Edition, Upgrade and Trade-in licenses available with bundled support
- Trade-up license from Starter to Enterprise Edition
Language versions include portions of the operating system localized. Not all documentation is localized.
SCO OPENSERVER 6 EDITIONS
||Special user bump